SUMMARY DESCRIPTION: The Lead Teacher is responsible for ensuring the care and education of a group of children as part of a teaching team. He/she assists with the planning and implementation of the curriculum.
PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES: (Asterisk for essential job duties.)
- Maintains a Safe and Healthy Environment
- Maintain an orderly learning environment
- Promote healthy eating practices by eating with children.
- Maintain proper dental hygiene according to regulations.
- Post necessary health and safety information.
- Share routine duties with other staff (supervision on playground, toileting, cleanup, classroom maintenance).
- Assist in keeping room and other areas neat and clean.
- Interact with children in activities he/she is supervising.
- Perform health checks on children daily.
- Perform monthly classroom and playground safety checks and report deficiencies to Curriculum Specialist/Instructional Lead Teacher.
- Perform appropriate hand washing and sanitizing procedures.
- Demonstrates Physical & Cognitive Competence
- Provide balance between child/teacher-initiated activities.
- Use equipment/materials to promote physical development.
- Provide balance between quiet/active learning activities.
- Involve children in planning and implementing activities.
- Provide an integrated curriculum that meets the needs of individual children.
- Plan and implement activities that promote acquisition of number concepts.
- Plan and implement experiences that promote language and literacy development.
- Consider outdoors as a part of learning environment.
- Assess children’s needs and developmental progress on an ongoing basis.
- Maintain written plans on a weekly basis.
- Assess children’s needs and developmental progress on an ongoing basis.
- Use the results of assessments to plan activities for children based on the developmental level.
- Prepare activities ahead of time so materials are in order when needed and follows through with planned activities.
- Share knowledge of children’s developmental stages by planning age appropriate activities.
- Supports Social and Emotional Development and Provides Positive Guidance
- Plan and implement hands-on activities that develop self-esteem.
- Plan and implement hands-on activities that develop social skills.
- Plan and implement culturally diverse experiences.
- Promote the use of positive guidance techniques.
- Provide a wide variety of creative/expressive activities.
- Establish routines with smooth transition periods.
- Encourage children to be independent in decision making and self-care (dressing, toileting, etc.)
- Greet children upon arrival and departure.
- Show each child affection and attention daily.
- Encourage children to problem solve and discover.
- Help children work out problems by encouraging them to talk about their feelings (anger, sadness, fear, etc.) and express them appropriately.
- Must be willing to work with special needs children and families.
- Establishes Positive and Productive Relationships with Families
- Greet parents and other visitors with a smile and friendly manner.
- Take time to explain classroom activities and projects to parents.
- Provide verbal and/or written communication to parent’s daily regarding child’s activities.
- Relate assessment information to parents and offers support for dealing with children at different developmental stages.
- Plan and conducts home and/or personal visits.
- Promote communication with parents through progress notes, monthly newsletters, and parent conferences.
- Provide variety of ways that families can participate in the program.
- Encourage parents to participate in the program.
- Maintains a Commitment to Professionalism
- Attend staff and parent leadership meetings.
- Attend conference and in-service training.
- Make observable use of knowledge gained from conferences and courses.
- Share new ideas and skills with other staff members.
- Promote the center’s philosophy and educational objectives.
- Report to the Center Director before workday begins when planning to be absent.
- Maintain a good attendance record.
- Report to classroom according to schedule.
- Follow center rules regarding breaks, telephones, clocking in and out, etc.
- Demonstrate competence in required job skills and knowledge.
- Exhibit ability to learn and apply new skills.
- Keep current on developments in the field of ECE.
- Require minimal supervision.
- Use resources effectively and efficiently.
- Display understanding of State Licensing Regulations.
- Display understanding of NAEYC standards.
- Display knowledge and understanding of Head Start Performance Standard.
- Work with Curriculum Specialist/ Instructional Lead Teacher to ensure that adequate materials are available in classrooms and unit boxes.
- Ensure that children’s developmental assessments are completed and on-going assessments are used for planning.
- Display ability to work as a team member.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with center staff.
- Actively work to resolve conflict.
- Adapt to change.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS:
The incumbent must have proficient knowledge in the following areas: child development and early education theories and practices, safe and appropriate activities for children, relevant legislation, policies and procedures to ensure that children are supervised and safe at all times, and an understanding of the early education and family center cultural environment. Must demonstrate the following skills: team building skills, supervisory skills, analytical and problem solving skills, decision making skills, effective verbal and listening communications skills, stress management skills, time management skills, and teaching skills. Must maintain strict confidentiality in performing the duties of Day Care Worker. Must also demonstrate the following personal attributes: be respectful, possess cultural awareness and sensitivity, be flexible, demonstrate sound work ethics, be consistent and fair, be compassionate and understanding, be able to build esteem while ensuring a safe and secure environment.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE:
BA or BS in Early Childhood or closely related field
CERTIFICATE AND LICENSE REQUIREMENTS:
The Teacher may be required to lift and carry children and equipment. Teacher will at times spend time sitting on the floor or child sized furniture. The Teacher will be expected to clean and maintain equipment and facility, and move throughout the community with children. The Preschool Teacher may come in contact with children who are ill and/or contagious, and must take precautions to ensure the health and safety of all children, parents, staff and themselves.
The Teacher will be working in a busy and occasionally noisy environment where there may be a number of activities and situations happening at once.
Background check and fingerprinting are required prior to hire date. Caring for children can be stressful. The Teacher must ensure that children are supervised at all times, and that children are involved in safe and appropriate activities. There may be a number of situations happening at once, and the Teacher must be prepared to handle accidents and emergencies at any time.
Performance of this job will be evaluated consistent with Sheltering Arms evaluation policy.
404 Fulton Street, Atlanta, GA 30312
This description may be changed at any time. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee. The employee will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by leadership. Sheltering Arms reserves the right to update, revise or change this job description and related duties at any time.
(*) Essential job duties -the basic job duties that an employee must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation.