The Part Time Teacher Aide is responsible for providing care for a group of children as part of a teaching team.
- Maintains a Safe and Healthy Environment
- Promote healthy eating practices by eating with children.
- Share routine duties with other staff (supervision on playground, toileting, cleanup, classroom maintenance).
- Assist in keeping room and other areas neat and clean.
- Interact with children in activities he/she is supervising.
- Perform appropriate hand washing and sanitizing procedures.
- Demonstrates Physical & Cognitive Competence
- Participate in child/teacher‐initiated activities.
- Use equipment/materials to promote physical development.
- Implement planned activities.
- Engage children in learning activities outdoors.
- Ensure that materials are prepared in advance of implementing activities.
- Supports Social and Emotional Development and Provides Positive Guidance
- Facilitate hands‐on activities that develop self‐esteem and social skills as identified on the lesson plan.
- Demonstrate awareness of cultural diversity while interacting with children.
- Use positive guidance techniques and strategies.
- Provide access to a wide variety of creative/expressive activities.
- Follow classroom routines and provide smooth transitions.
- Encourage children to be independent in decision making and self‐care (dressing, toileting, etc.)
- Greet children upon arrival and departure.
- Show each child affection and attention daily.
- Encourage children to problem solve and discover.
- Help children work out problems by encouraging them to talk about their feelings (anger, sadness, fear, etc.) and express them appropriately.
- Be willing to work with children who have special needs and their families.
- Establishes Positive and Productive Relationships with Families
- Greet parents and other visitors with a smile and friendly manner.
- Encourage parents to participate in the program.
- Maintains a Commitment to Professionalism
- Attend staff meetings.
- Attend conference and in‐service training.
- Make observable use of knowledge gained from training.
- Share new ideas and skills with other staff members.
- Promote the center’s philosophy and educational objectives.
- Report to the Center Director before workday begins when planning to be absent.
- Have a good attendance record.
- Report to classroom according to schedule.
- Follow center rules regarding breaks, telephones, clocking in and out, etc.
- Be competent in required job skills and knowledge.
- Exhibit ability to learn and apply new skills.
- Keep current on developments in the field of ECE.
- Require minimal supervision.
- Use resources effectively.
- Display understanding of State Licensing Regulations.
- Display understanding of NAEYC standards.
- Display knowledge and understanding of Head Start Performance Standard.
- Display positive outlook and pleasant manner.
- Coordinate and help supervise substitutes and volunteers working in the classroom.
- Assists Lead Teacher in the assessment of children’s progress.
- Display ability to work as a team member.
- Establish and maintains effective relationships with center staff.
- Actively work to resolve conflict.
- Be adaptable to change.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS:
- Be able to sit on floor and interact with children.
- Ability to learn/use technology.
- Hear children from a distance of at least 70 feet.
- Lift and carry at least 30lbs unassisted and 50lbs with assistance.
- Visually observe children from all areas of the classroom and playground from a distance of at least 70 feet.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE:
CERTIFICATE AND LICENSE REQUIREMENTS:
LOCATION: 2257 Mulberry Street, East Point, GA 30344
Performance of this job will be evaluated consistent with Sheltering Arms evaluation policy.
This description may be changed at any time. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee. The employee will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by leadership. Sheltering Arms reserves the right to update, revise or change this job description and related duties at any time.
(*) Essential job duties -the basic job duties that an employee must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation.