The Substitute Teacher is responsible for assisting the regular staff in the care and education of a group of children.
PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES: (Asterisk for essential job duties.)
Maintains a Safe and Healthy Environment
- Maintain an orderly learning environment.
- Promote healthy eating practices by eating with children.
- Share routine duties with other staff (supervisor on playground, toileting, cleanup, classroom maintenance).
- Assist in keeping room and other areas neat and clean.
- Interact with children in activities he/she is supervising.
- Perform appropriate hand washing and sanitizing procedures.
Supports Social and Emotional Development and Provides Positive Guidance
- Implement hands-on activities that develop self-esteem.
- Implement culturally diverse experiences.
- Promote the use of positive guidance techniques.
- Provide a wide variety of creative/express activities.
- Encourage children to be independent in decision making and self-care (dressing, toileting, etc.).
- Greet children upon arrival and departure.
- Show each child affection and attention daily.
- Encourage children to problem solve and discover.
- Help children work out problems by encouraging them to talk about their feelings (anger, sadness, fear, etc.) and express them appropriately.
- Be willing to work with special needs children and families.
Establishes Positive and Productive Relationships with Families
- Greet parents and other visitors with a smile and friendly manner.
- Report to classroom according to accepted schedule.
- Follow center rules regarding breaks, telephones, etc.
- Use resources effectively.
- Display positive outlook and pleasant manner.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS:
- Be able to sit on floor and interact with children.
- Hear children from a distance of at least 70 feet.
- Lift and carry at least 50 lbs.
- Visually observe children from all areas of the classroom and playground from a distance of at least 70 feet.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School diploma or GED
- CDA or Degree in Early Childhood Education Preferred
CERTIFICATE AND LICENSE REQUIREMENTS:
LOCATION: 404 Fulton Street, Atlanta, GA 30312
Performance of this job will be evaluated consistent with Sheltering Arms evaluation policy.
This description may be changed at any time. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee. The employee will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by leadership. Sheltering Arms reserves the right to update, revise or change this job description and related duties at any time.
(*) Essential job duties -the basic job duties that an employee must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation.